October 28, 2008

Am I Crazy, or just Convicted?

Today was a first for me. I actually sat down and drafted a letter to a celebrity who took a position on an issue with which I strongly disagree. I won't say what this issue is or name the celebrity, but it was important enough to me to express my view. And I will rewrite and rewrite it until I can only say what I would say to their face, in person. Then I will mail it via snail mail because I think it is more likely to be read that way.

Maybe it's the election, the economic crises or all of the above, but I am shocked at the strength of my own convictions lately. My values and beliefs haven't really changed, but the force behind them has. I seriously want to effect change and am not afraid to try.

So here is what I am going to do:
  • I am going to write and speak personally when opportunities present; my voice is as credible as any Hollywood type who earns a living pretending to be someone he/she is not. (Fear not, I have no plans to turn this blog or any of my materials into personal platforms.)
  • I am turning off the television. At my house we watch mostly educational preschool television anyway, which we will continue as long as it is productive. And I will still watch some HGTV and favorite news networks and my current closet favorite, "The Biggest Loser." Anything else just frustrates me.
  • I will spend a lot more time reading things that inspire and motivate me.
  • I will make it my personal goal to be an encourager to everyone with whom I come in contact.

The bottom line is, there isn't much point to having convictions if you're not going to exercise them and do so in a positive way.

No comments: